India continued to report a record surge in Covid-19 infections, prompting the government to expand its inoculation drive to include workplaces.
More than 1.2 lakh people tested positive for the coronavirus in the last 24 hours, according to the Health Ministry’s update as of 8:00 a.m. on April 8. The ministry also reported 59,000 recoveries and 630 deaths in the same period.
Active cases crossed 9 lakh for the first time since October last year.
- Total number of confirmed cases: 1,29,28,574
- Active cases: 9,10,319
- Total cured/discharged/migrated: 1,18,51,393
- Total deaths: 1,66,862
- New infections in 24 hours: 1,26,789
- Recoveries in a day: 59,258
- Deaths in a single day: 685
- Total vaccination shots administered: 9,01,98,673
The government will allow vaccines to be administered at private and public workplaces that have more than 100 eligible beneficiaries, starting April 11. Vaccination will still be limited to those above 45 years of age, according to guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.